Verse of the Day

11/07/2010

"There were incidents and accidents" is a line from the Paul Simon song "You Can Call me Al".  I was thinking about how much of our Christian service seems like incidents and accidents rather than intentional, planned acts of devotion to Christ.

In Ephesians chapter 5, verse 10 instructs us to "find out what pleases the Lord" and then tells us in verses 15-17  to "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."

If we are to please the Lord, it would seem that we need to move beyond incidental and accidental obedience and service, and commit ourselves to a life intentionally submitted to finding out and fulfilling the will of the Holy Spirit.  I thank God for His grace in the midst of the many ways I fall short; but His grace not ONLY covers my sin, it also teaches me to say no to ungodliness and gives me the power through the Holy Spirit to obey the will of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home